Let me start off this post by saying: WE’RE Done! The remodel is accomplished! Properly, I’m thinking about it completed. We need to have to touch up some paint, add a couple of baseboards, and paint the home exterior. But the dust and debris and demolition and all of the dudes coming and going from our property every day — that’s all over. I can clean and start off moving things back into our house just in time for Baby Girl to get right here. And that, close friends, is one thing I nearly doubted would ever come about. There have been days when I was quite positive we were going to be remodeling until… forever.
But for your Friday entertainment, let me inform you The Tale of the Hardwood Floors. This tiny story is why we ended up a couple of weeks behind schedule. Component of the remodel was expanding both our living area and dining space, and we wanted to install hardwood to match the rest of the house. The existing wood floors are original from the 1950’s, but we located a business who felt confident that they could match the wood and make the transitions seamless. So they came in, installed, sanded, buffed, lacquered, and on and on. It is a days-lengthy process that then wants to dry for at least a week just before you can put furniture or rugs on it. So it is fairly the disruption, particularly with a toddler on the loose.
The day they were finishing, I noticed some drops of floor varnish on our current wood floor. They had somehow spilled a line of varnish drips across virtually all of our living space and didn’t notice. So I showed them and they attempted to wipe them but they had dried. NOOOOOO! I know, it is a completely first planet issue, but at the end of a 9 month remodel the last issue you want to see is an error that could possibly set you back. Given that the drops were dry, they tried to scrub them off with turpentine. So we had a perfectly great wood floor with spots that were scrubbed dull. Following that we began searching about a lot more — there were footprints in the varnish, waves in the new wood floor exactly where they had sanded poorly, spots that didn’t get an even coat of finish, and spots that were dyed darker than the rest of the floor. It was a mess. And I just about lost it. I mean, 9 months pregnant, a baby due in 4 weeks, and a floor that we had to commence fully over. (Which, in turn, meant that I nonetheless couldn’t get the nursery set up since our living room furnishings was temporarily staying in there.)
So that’s what we did, we started more than. The bossman at the floor organization fortunately recognized that it was a bum job and hired another company in town to come and repair it all. And that is been the quite last issue to take place. They came, sanded it all down to bare wood (A lot more DUST GAHHHH), buffed, varnished, and sanded and buffed and varnished again. Three times in all. Nowadays is the day we can finally put furniture on it, although rugs can not go in for a although. But at least Hank has a spot to run around once more and our residence doesn’t smell like varnish fumes any much more.
And right here we aaaaaare! I’ll ultimately be sitting on our couch in our own living space tonight, instead of camping out in the studio or in Hankie’s space. And even even though now we have our function cut out for us to clean it all up and put away every thing that’s in storage, I’m so looking forward to that component of it all. Hope you guys have had a fantastic week! xoxo